The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is an idea taken from other Civic Trusts which encourages their residents to make comments or give opinions on their environment.
Any resident wishing to propose an item for inclusion as one of the categories should send their suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. A photograph would be welcome but is not essential.
The Good can be anything that is pleasing, either abstract such as a community service or visual such as a well designed shop window display or a pleasing landscape feature.
The Bad, again can be abstract or visual, such as a lack of car parking or a poorly designed road layout are an example of each.
The Ugly is very much a visual aspect, examples of which can be derelict land/buildings, overgrown landscapes, features not in keeping with the local area.
Listed below are examples of each category submitted so far by members of the public.
1. Memorial to “Jack”, a young man from Littleborough who made the ultimate sacrifice for his country.
2. Sympathetic restoration of Birch Hill clock tower.
3. Hollingworth Lake, often taken for granted
4. Littleborough village centre, still largely unspoiled
5. Benches in Cenotaph garden. Nice design and in keeping with cenotaph area.
6. Flag/banner display in streets. A nice topical feature throughout the year.
7. Restored drystone walling on Todmorden Road. Excellent restoration by craftsmen to original condition.
8. “Katie and friend”. Nice landscape feature at Canal bend.
9. Townhouse Brook adjacent to Calderbrook Road. Potential water feature.
10. Image Warehouse, Halifax Road. Change of use of building but still retaining original Co-op features.
1. Lack of car parking in Littleborough.
2. Water trough at the bottom of Blackstone Edge Old Road.
This was a nice feature, planted with flowers but has become neglected and overgrown.
3. Waste land at side of railway arches. Potential for use as Littleborough Market.
4. Small garden and seats at end of Ebor Street. Derelict and needs tidying.
5. Waste land at canal bend, Hollingworth Road. Potential for leisure area.
1. Smithy Bridge pub. Falling into disrepair and attracting vandals.
2. Vape shop on Hare Hill Road. Frontage not in keeping with area.
3. Littleborough taxi rank and takeaway building. Unsympathetic to the Central Conservation Area and untidy
4. Burned out garage on Ebor Street. Eyesore! Especially when viewed from a train, not a good first impression of Littleborough.
5. Fire damage to Sun Hotel. Again, not a good first impression of Littleborough.
6. Height warning signage on railway arches. Disfiguring and not in keeping with a listed structure.
7. Artificial stone retaining wall on Halifax Road. Already showing signs of deterioration.
8. Advertising hoardings by railway arches. Not in keeping with, and spoiling the view of a listed structure and adjacent viaduct.
CLICK LOGO TO GO BACK TO MENU & CONTACTS