Events:

Angie Walker has stood down from Chairing the Flood Resilience Group and has volunteered to be our Events Coordinator and things are already moving forward.

8th September - 7:00 to 8:30 pm: Tony Lloyd (Rochdale MP) is coming to Hare Hill House to talk with us about Littleborough issues that Littleborough Civic Trust are currently working on. This meeting is open exclusively to Civic Trust members and we are asking for a small donation (£2.00) towards the cost of the room and refreshments.

November (Date & time tbd): Sue Oakley (RMBC Conservation Project Officer) is coming to hold a Q&A session with us on matters relating to her role and conservation issues in Littleborough. Again, this meeting will be open to all Littleborough Civic Trust Members.

December (Date & time tbd): John Kay is working on a day out to Chester for Members and, if room, your friends. The current plan is to meet up with our fellow Chester Civic Voice members in the morning to explore "Hidden Chester" and give the afternoon over to time in Chester's excellent Christmas Markets. We'll be in touch with you as soon as things are confirmed.

Flood Resilience Group:

As you may have already seen on Facebook or our website, we're proud to say that members of the group are collaborating with the Environment Agency to help them develop a new website that will be much easier for the public to use and get information about possible flood dangers.

Canalside Development Group:

Things are moving forward with the "Cafe Boat" project. We're currently waiting on agreements relating to planning permissions for mooring etc but everything is in place to move on when all applications are completed and approved.

Conservation:

Town Centre: We're currently working with RMBC to explore the possibility of extending the Town Centre Conservation Area to include both Hare Hill Park and House and the area along Barehill Street that includes the Co-operative Society houses. This area is potentially of great importance in the history of the Co-op. We're currently looking for a couple of Littleborough Civic Trust volunteers to work alongside members of the History & Archæological Society, the U3A History Group and the Co-operative History Group to research and document Barehill Street and nearby areas. Training in how to go about this fascinating project will be given by Sue Oakley. Contact me if you are interested by replying to this email.

Co-operative Dance Hall: Littleborough Civic Trust has been collaborating with the Co-operative History group to document the Bakery/Dance Hall/Stables area on Barehill Street.

We're please to say the the developer has been very helpful and we have documented the interior of the building and he has authorised the placement of a blue plaque explaining the building's history on the front of the building. The Co-op History group have designed the plaque and it is being funded by Pennine township.

Improving Parking in Littleborough:

Ian Jackson is liaising with Councillor Emsley to move things forward and we'll keep you up to date with progress.

Keeping Up To Date:

Don't forget, if you want to keep up to date with what's going on in the Civic Trust, you can visit our website at www.littleboroughcivictrust.org.uk/ where you'll find lots of helpful information including the minutes from Committee Meetings.

 

Peter Hook
Chairman

 

CLICK LOGO TO GO BACK TO MENU & CONTACTS